More silly taxpayer excuses from HMRC
HMRC have released more unusual excuses from taxpayers who failed to complete their self assessment tax return on time.
- ‘My tax return was on my yacht…which caught fire’
- ‘A wasp in my car caused me to have an accident and my tax return, which was inside, was destroyed’
- ‘My wife helps me with my tax return, but she had a headache for ten days’
- ‘My dog ate my tax return…and all of the reminders’
- ‘I couldn’t complete my tax return, because my husband left me and took our accountant with him. I am currently trying to find a new accountant’
- ‘My child scribbled all over the tax return, so I wasn’t able to send it back’
- ‘I work for myself, but a colleague borrowed my tax return to photocopy it and lost it’
- ‘My husband told me the deadline was the 31 March’
- ‘My internet connection failed’
- ‘The postman doesn’t deliver to my house’
With the self assessment submission deadline of 31 January now past and an automatic penalty of £100 for failing to submit your return on time, please contact us if you need help bringing your affairs up to date.